Make your own Strawberry Syrup:)

This week Safeway had an awesome sale on strawberries ($1 a lb!) so consequently I bought about 5 or 6 lbs of strawberries got home and said, 'okay now what!'. What was I going to do with all the strawberries! Then a thought occured to me.. why not try making strawberry syrup for panacakes, waffles, ice cream, etc.? So I found myself a recipe, made a small sample batch (yummy!) and then decided to can some syrup for our family! Here is my recipe and pics of what I did... I am sure there are about a hundred different ways you could do this and I just did what I wanted and so feel free to do the same! To each thier own:)

Strawberry Syrup

8 cups strawberries (about 3 1/2 lbs.)
7 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice


1. If you are going to can your syrup, make sure you get your lids, rings, and jars ready in thier boiling water before you start to make the juice:)

2. Wash and cut strawberries into fourths.



3. Puree the strawberries in a food processor (I found myself a little tiny one at Wal-Mart a few years ago for $3. Best thing I ever bought)!

4. Mix strawberries and lemon juice together in saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and bring to boil for 1 minute.


5. Remove from heat and scrape off any foam that may have aquired on top.

6. Ladle into you hot jars.

7. Wipe rim, put lid on and screw on rings until JUST fingertight. Replace in boiling water.

8. Make sure jars are covered with boiling water. Place lid on top of pot and let boil for 15 min. Remove jars from water bath and let cool for 24 hours. Check lids to make sure sealed. And you are done!!

This yields about 64 oz. of syrup


Okay so my experince had a few twists! I first burned my arm with a jar full of hot water. Then in a bizarre twist the lid off of my jar IN the water came off!! How that happened is still a mystery to me!! I don't know what happens when some boiling water gets into your jar of jelly/syrup? Any ideas? I replace the lid and ring after draining some of the water out so I canned it but would love to know if it is safe? Anyone had that happen to them? Hopefully I can get the jars out without any injuries:) Have fun canning!!


So the one on the left is the one with water (see the watery look...) but after a while you can't really tell so.....


Okay???

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! :)