Sweet and Sour Chicken (my fave!!)

I see many recipes and such for Sweet and Sour Chicken but it always includes the breaded chicken you buy from the store and its usually just a recipe for the sauce. When I was working at Wal-Mart a few years ago as a checker, I would browse through the cooking magazines (against the rules of course) and I copied a few down to try at home. This was one of them!! I had a Sweet and Sour Sauce I loved and now here is the chicken to go with it! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Chicken Dippers

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/3 cups cold water
Oil for frying
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions:

Cut up chicken breasts into 1-2 inch pieces. Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and water in a bowl. Add cut up chicken pieces.

Heat oil over med. heat. Add battered chicken and fry about 5-10 mins.

Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.


Serve with Sweet and Sour Sauce. Yummy!!!!

Tip: I halve this part of the recipe for our family of three and use three chicken breasts! Hope that gives you an estimate on how much it makes!!
Tip: If you have some time when you buy chicken breasts on sale. Pre cut the chicken before freezing and then all you have to do is thaw the chicken, make the batter and its that easy!

Sweet and Sour Sauce

Ingredients:
1 (16 oz) can pinapple chunks (save juice!)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Directions:
Drain and save pinapple juice. Combine sugar, cornstarch, pinapple juice, vinegar, and soy sauce in saucepan over med. heat until sauce is think and bubbly. Remove from heat and add pinapple chunks (if desired) and serve over rice or Chicken Dippers.

Tip: I freeze my pinapple chunks to use in smoothies or shakes or as an ice cream topping, there are endless possiblities!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! :)