Talk of the Week



'Wide Awake to Our Duties'


This past weekend started off the upcoming General Conference for me with the General Relief Society Meeting. I was curious to hear from our new General Relief Society Presidency, since they had only been called in April. I love Sister Julie B. Beck and was very sad when she was released. While it was sad not to hear from her, the new presidency and Pres. Eyring were wonderful!



The talk I chose for this week was by Sister Carole M. Stephens, 1st Counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency.  (click here to read)

I was struck by the phrase, "We all need to be 'wide awake to our duties'". 

This struck me because earlier that day I had been thinking about how easy it is to get so focused on all the cares of the world and lose focus on what really matters:
the gospel,
our husbands and wives, 
our children,
those we come in contact with,
the list goes on-

This phrase just inspired me to be more focused on what matters in life and those things of eternal nature.

The other message that hit me was the question  

"Do we have soft hearts? Are our hearts humble? teachable? gentle? or have they become hardened?"

I must admit that during this long, personally hard year that I think in some ways my heart has become hardened. This is just the message I needed to hear and I am certainly glad for the opportunity to re-focus and start anew, again.
 
I decided to create some bookmarks you can printout ( I am going to add a felt heart to mine after I laminate it) so that I can remember to have a soft heart when I read my scriptures, pray and whenever I run across it.

click here to download


For me this was a great way to begin the week to General Conference. I am so excited to hear what messages our prophet and apostles have for us for our day! 

Here is the talk from Sister Carole M Stephens, I hope you feel the spirit as I did!



Please feel free to add your thoughts and feelings in the comments below- I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! :)