Talk of the Week

This weeks talk if by Pres. Uchtdorf entilted "Of Things That Matter Most" 


This was a great talk! I love how Pres. Uchtdorf begins with the rings of a tree trunk and how scientists can tell climate and environmental conditions hundreds of years ago based on these rings.

Then he says "At this point some of you may be thinking, 'That's all fine and good, but what does it have to do with flying an airplane?' Well, let me tell you." 

I love his sense of humor!!

He then goes on to talk of turbulence and how when flying some may think that speeding up to get through the turbulence faster would be the wisest thing to do when in most cases it is the opposite. They must slow down to maintain the optimum penetration.

That is how we sometimes live life. When things start to go crazy we think "oh if only I speed up and get all this done-then I can have fun." As Pres. Uchtdof says, "When stress levels rise, when distress appears, when tragedy strikes, too often we attempt to keep up the same frantic pace or even accelerate, thinking somehow that the more rushed our pace, the better off we will be."

This really hit home for me. With school, two young boys, a home, and my calling at church, I sometimes find myself saying "oh just get it all done and then I can rest!" I have been so guilty of this lately!!

Pres. Uctdorf says, "There is a beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity that we sometimes do not appreciate in our thirst for intricate solutions."  Again I think he was talking to me! 

Here I am trying to find all these 'solutions' to my stresses and tasks when maybe I just need to simplify my life- its okay if dinner is not completly homemade every night, its okay if the boys (and me) stay in our pjs all day (very once in a while), its okay if I don't get everything done, and the list can go on and on!!

Pres. Uchtdorf lists 4 basics that can helps us simplify and get back to what is most important in life. 

1. Build our relationship with God- it is most sacred and vital
"We improve our relationship with our Heavenly Father by learning of Him, by communing with Him, by repenting of our sins, and by actively following Jesus Christ, for 'no man cometh unto the Father, but by Christ."
Reading our scriptures and praying daily are such simple but profound things we can do each day to keep us in the proper perspective! Life is so much easier when I remember to do these things!!
 
2. Build our relationships with our families "no other failure can compensate for failure in the home."
I think he says if best "In family relationships, love is really spelled T-I-M-E. Taking time for each other is key to harmony in the home." 
I know I have a lot of things I need to get done but when I take the time to spend with my boys- life is just soo much better!!  

3. Build our relationship with our fellowmen- one person at a time
Pres. Uchtdorf says we do this by "being sensitive to the needs of others, serving them, and giving of our time and talents."
Service is so important. I truly have a testimony that 'when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17)
4. Build a relationship with ourselves- get to know your self better.
He says, "Some people can't get along with themselves. They criticize and belittle themselves al lday long until they begin to hate themselves. May I suggest that you reduce the rush and take a little extra time to get to know yourself better... Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you- as His precious daughter or son with divine potential."

Man, did this one hit home!! I am constantly criticizing myself for all the things I don't get done (ie cleaning the house) or the things I did but shouldn't have (ie losing my temper) and by the end of some days - I really don't like myself!! I am trying to do better and learn more about myself- that is partly why I started the blog to be honest. I wanted to see what would happen to me- would I find things that I do because I like to do them? Such as crafting and cooking? Would I actually complete some of my goals- like this Talk of the Week series? I am trying to find my talents so that I can use them to benefit those around me and become a better person. 

The ending is my favorite- divine potential. If we all really understood what that means- WOW!! I think we would have the power to do ANYTHING! And you know what?? WE DO!! 

I just want to say thanks to anyone who reads this- it really makes my day to see comments and see those of you who stop by. I hope that you leave with a smile on your face and maybe some new goals or ideas to make your days a little brighter! 

The wonderful thing about each day is that it is a fresh start and all the goals and dreams we have? 
We just have to DEW IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! :)