Talk of the Week 3

This weeks talk is by D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve entitled:
Reflections of a Concentrated Life

WOW!! This was such an uplifting and inspiring talk for me!!

Elder Richard L. Evans said this
"Life offers you two precious gifts—one is time, the other freedom of choice, the freedom to buy with your time what you will. You are free to exchange your allotment of time for thrills. You may trade it for base desires. You may invest it in greed. …







“Yours is the freedom to choose. But these are no bargains, for in them you find no lasting satisfaction.






“Every day, every hour, every minute of your span of mortal years must sometime be accounted for. And it is in this life that you walk by faith and prove yourself able to choose good over evil, right over wrong, enduring happiness over mere amusement. And your eternal reward will be according to your choosing.




“A prophet of God has said: ‘Men are that they might have joy’—a joy that includes a fullness of life, a life dedicated to service, to love and harmony in the home, and the fruits of honest toil—an acceptance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ—of its requirements and commandments.






“Only in these will you find true happiness, the happiness which doesn’t fade with the lights and the music and the crowds.

Totally made me stop and think about what I spend my days doing! What do I spend my 'free time' on? Where do my choices lead? I especially felt caught by the part about how every minute of our lives have to be accounted for... every minute, every hour of every day! Do I spend my hours in ways that I want to be accounted for? How many minutes have I wasted with foolish pride or "pity parties"?
 
This part got me too.
 
Stubbornness, rebellion, and rationalization must be abandoned, and in their place submission, a desire for correction, and acceptance of all that the Lord may require.
 
Okay, I'll admit that I am a little stubborn... alright a lot stubborn and sometimes I think I know what best for me and I don't always trust my Heavenly Father. This is definitely an area I am trying to work on and going to be one of my 'new year resolutions'!
 
Elder Christofferson mentions five elements of a consecrated life. They are purity, work, respect for one’s physical body, service, and integrity.
 
Purity:  We become pure through repentance and putting of the natural man (getting over my stubbornness)
 
Work: Thomas Carlyle said "All true work is sacred" I try to remember this as I do the laundry, dirty dishes or clean the bathroom. Being a homemaker is my work and it is a sacred thing.
 
Respect for Physical Body: Our bodies are essential for exaltation and we need to take care of them. They are a precious gift from God.
Okay cute story, tonight for FHE we were talking about the wonderful blessings we have been given from our Heavenly Father and Nathan (our two year old) said that he was grateful for his body. He then proceeded to jump up and run around the room joyfully exclaiming that he was 'bouncing his body'!! Makes you just love the gospel, even a two year old understands the simple principles!!
 
Service: We need to listen to the quite promptings of the spirit and enjoy in a life of service. New years resolution number two is to do just that! Be on constant alert to hear and listen to those promptings so that I may help those around me!
 
Integrity: Elder Christofferson told a story of two friends who had a business. Their children decided to sell the business and were not very fair in splitting the profits. One partner asked how he could do this to such a good friend and the reply was to stop being so naive. Elder  Christofferson's reply to this story was "Integrity is not naiveté. What is naive is to suppose that we are not accountable to God."
 
Five simple, yet life changing principles- principles that we have to continuously strive to reach. I am glad that I happened on this talk before this holiday season and hope that I can do all these things and continually become a better daughter of God.
 
What touched you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! :)