Talk of the Week1

I guess to begin I should tell you that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (for more info click here) Each April and October, we have a semi-annual General Conference where we get the oppertunity to hear from our living Prophet and Apostles. At the end of each general conference we are asked again and again to re-read the talks. However, as I find every April and October it is just hard to remember to do it! So… to conquer this slackiness( is that a word?) in me, I am going to make it a goal to read one talk each week and post my feelings and thoughts about it! Feel free to read the talk and comment you thoughts too!



To start this off I chose to read the talk by President Thomas S. Monson entitled “Charity Never Faileth” given in the General Relief Society meeting in September. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have re-reading it. I love how Pres. Monson has so many wonderful stories to share and the messages we can learn from them!



1. Remember to wash your windows!! I had actually forgotten this story until I re-read it today. It is so easy to judge others without realizing our perception is all wrong.

2. Appearances can be so deceiving. The touching story about the ‘truly awful looking old man’ reminded me how easy it is to judge others based on appearance… especially those we see day to day. How many friendships have we lost based on a ‘first impression’? I hope that I can be better about judging those I come in contact with.

3. True Charity is Love in Action. What a profound quote! Usually when we talk about charity it is in the mentioning of giving to poor, helping the needy, etc. good and worthy things to be sure. But in this message Pres. Monson talked about charity in the way we approach and deal with each other in our everyday lives. I was able to think about charity in a whole new light. Charity is really in everything we do. In the laundry we was for our families, in the kind smile we give to the sad cashier in the store, in realizing that we have our own talents to share with those around us… Charity is something we are all capable of and do each day. Of course, there is always room for improvement and I am determined to consciously make an effort to be more charitable in my own life. Be a little more patient when Nathan destroys the living right after I have cleaned it up for the tenth time that day, smile at everyone I see when I leave the house, do my visiting teaching and reach out to those that I see could use just a friendly hello.

4. Charity Never Faileth: This is the Relief Society motto and I was soo glad to be reminded of the little things that I can do to make charity a part of my everyday life and a part of who I am.

 
So here are my thoughts for this talk and for this week I hope to be more charitable to all those around me! Hope you have a great week and found this talk as uplifting as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! :)